DEVENS ECO-EFFICIENCY CENTER
Helping area businesses and organizations reduce their environmental impacts and operating costs through education, collaboration and technical assistance.
Recycle – Follow the Law and Save Money
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection’s Waste Ban requires proper recycling of a range of waste streams. Enforcement activities of this law (310 CMR 19.017) are increasing and solid waste haulers are prevented from dumping loads that include a significant amount of recyclable materials, including glass bottles and jars, metal containers, plastic containers with a recycle symbol, paper, cardboard, paperboard products, and batteries (lead-acid, rechargeable, and button).
In house recycling programs can facilitate compliance with this regulation as well as decrease a firm’s waste management costs by reducing the amount of solid waste that needs to be disposed. Programs that capture a significant amount of paper or plastic materials could even generate some revenue!
Devens Eco-Efficiency Center Can Help You
Thanks in part to a Solid Waste Management Grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Development Utilities Program, a wide range of cost-savings services are available to Devens-based businesses, free of charge. These include:
· Info sessions and workshops to bring representatives of area establishments together to create cost-effective “milk-run” services to collect wooden pallets and food waste throughout Devens
· Audits to identify recyclable or reusable waste streams and production efficiency opportunities;
· Waste reduction plans that describe and prioritize strategies to decrease the amount of material sent to the landfill;
· Establishment or expansion of recycle programs, including vendor negotiations, procedures, signage;
· 96-gallon recycle totes and desk-side saddle baskets for collecting paper;
· Educational materials and outreach activities to facilitate support of recycling programs; and
· Diversion of reusable materials in the waste stream with identification of reuse opportunities.
The Eco-Efficiency Center will also provide this type of assistance to establishments outside of Devens as part of their EcoStar membership or for a nominal fee.
To learn more about the above listed waste-reduction services contact Dona Neely at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-772-8831 x3304.
Other Recycling Services:
Devens Recycling Drop-Off
99 Buena Vista Street
Devens, MA. 01434
The drop-off center (located in the front parking lot along Buena Vista) allows Devens residents, businesses and employees as well as other local surrounding businesses and residents to dispose of a wide variety of items in a timely manner and at little or no cost. The site is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Entities located in Devens can take advantage of recycling services based at the DPW, 99 Buena Vista Street. A compactor for paper and cardboard and a container for plastics, bottles and cans are located in the front parking lot. E-waste can also be brought, by appointment, for disposal with a small fee. More information about accepted materials can be found at
Can you recycle paper in metal spiral notebooks, paper clips, envelopes with plastic windows? Check out this resource from MassRecycle that lists what most paper mills and materials recovery facilities will accept: